The Mission Joins Dining Out for Life® San Diego
Don’t miss The San Diego LGBT Community Center's annual Dining Out for Life®! On Thursday, April 25, 2013, over 100 participating restaurants, bars, coffeehouses and nightclubs in San Diego will donate a minimum of 25% of sales for The Center’s HIV/AIDS services and prevention programs. Delicious, right?
Grab your family and friends and make plans to dine out at The Mission and fight AIDS on Thursday, April 25!
Chef Fay Nakanishi
- Egg whites, separated from 1 2 large eggs or egg white substitute
6 cups cooked short grain brown rice (2 cups uncooked)
1 lb each zucchini and gold bar squash sliced diagonally, 1/4” thickness
2 ea Hinochi Tofu medium (34 oz container)
Bottled Teriyaki sauce (8 — 1 0 ounces)
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
3 each roma tomatoes, medium dice
1 cup green onions, julienne
Pinch cracked black pepper Cilantro sprigs, to garnish
Canola oil for cooking
1. Cook brown rice according to directions on package, keep warm*.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks and set aside in refrigerator.
3. Slice squash on the bias and toss lightly with canola oil.
4. Drain water from tofu and cut into cubes about 1 1/2” square.
5. In large non stick skillet saute mushrooms until brown. Remove from pan. In same pan heat oil, add tofu in small batches and brown on all sides. When tofu is done cooking add mushrooms and teriyaki sauce, continue to reduce until sauce is slightly thickened.
6. Place squash on heated grill pan and cook on both sides, turning once.
7. Toss together diced tomatoes and green onions, place vegetables in same grill pan and sprinkle with pepper. Grill vegetables tossing lightly until soft.
5. Heat a small amount of butter in medium non stick pan, scramble egg whites until light and fluffy.
Arrange brown rice, tofu and squash on platter. Place grilled tomatoes and green onions in center of plate. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
* Brown rice may be cooked ahead of time and re-heated in the microwave
Visit our other locations at:
3795 Mission Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92109
Daily 7:00am- 3:00pm
1250 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Daily 7:00am- 3:00pm